Sunday, February 28, 2010

Minion by L A Banks



1 out of 5 stars

*Worst Book List*

I very rarely give up on books. If i have a problem getting into a story, I will usually put it down for a while, and try to approach it again at another time.

I attempted to read this book on 4 separate occasions over the course of a year, and I still found it impossible to finish.

To be quite honest, I found this practically impossible to read. First of all, there's not many things I hate more than the feeling of being dropped into the middle of a story without any kind of explanation or backstory until late in the book. Call me silly, but it's confusing as hell and just plain frustrating. How can you possibly enjoy a book when you have no clue what the heck is going on? When you keep having to make sure you are indeed reading the FIRST book in a series, because nothing is making sense?

Also, the dialogue...good grief. It was like the author's main goal was to make these characters sound 'current' and to use as much street slang as humanly possible. It came across as being incredibly trite and annoying.

And there is also the fact that the characters were far from likable. Everyone had a chip on their shoulder...but without giving the reader a reason WHY they acted that way until late in the book, it was hard to feel anything but annoyance toward their behavior.

I have heard that the series gets better as it progresses, but I think I'm beyond giving it another shot at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment