Thursday, May 17, 2012

Poughkeepsie ~ Debra Anastasia


PoughkeepsiePoughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I originally read this book several months ago, and have been struggling with how to write a review that properly conveys just how special this book is. And just how much this story, and each and every character has come to mean to me.

Blake has been watching Livia from the shadows of the Poughkeepsie train station for months. He loves her from afar, and counts each of the smiles she bestows upon him as she makes her way to and from work each day. Her smiles are full of kindness, and not pity. He senses no fear from her, even after she realizes he is in fact homeless. One morning, as Blake is being harassed by a group of thugs, Livia steps in to defend him. And what follows is in my opinion the most romantic, and beautiful love story I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

There has been a lot of talk about fan fiction lately. With the success of Fifty Shades of Grey some people are taking a second look at something that has been to some, myself included, a somewhat guilty pleasurable addiction. And while Poughkeepsie and Fifty Shades may have started out the same way (as Twilight fanfic) they are in completely different galaxies as far as story line, character development etc. Yes, i am a fan of the FSOG series, but Poughkeepsie is hands down the superior book on every level.

Debra Anastasia is a brilliant author. Period. She managed to take a very simple story, and bring it to life in such a way that I truly felt I was in their world. I knew these people, I knew where they lived, who they loved, and what their thoughts and feelings were as if I were experiencing them myself.

With the exception of the physical description of Blake, and his tendency to speak in a formal manner, Poughkeepsie is nothing at all like Twilight. Something you definitely can not say about FSOG.

Another thing I absolutely loved about this book, was the cast of supporting characters. Blake's foster brothers Cole & Beckett. Livia's sister Kyle. And, I can't write a review without mentioning my beloved Mouse. A huge, tough as nails bodyguard who loves his 'family' and knitting.

This book made me smile, laugh, squirm in my seat (in a VERY good way. Blake is a sexy devil and the chemistry he has with Livia is insane. And don't get me started on Beckett. Guh), and sob my eyes out on more than one occasion. It has become my 2nd favorite book of all time, and if I succeed in getting one person to read this book based on my review, I will be a happy girl.

Bottom line: if you loved Twilight, or if you hated Twilight. If you loved Fifty Shades of Grey, or hated Fifty Shades of Grey. None of that matters. If you enjoy losing yourself in a story, reading about wonderfully realistic and flawed characters, like your romance with a bit of humor and a lot of spice...if you don't mind crying from both happiness and sadness, if you want to read a book that will stay in your heart forever...then read Poughkeepsie. You'll thank me later. ;)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment