Thursday, January 19, 2012

Paper Towns ~ John Green

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In A Nutshell:
Quentin Jackobsen is an average young man growing up in Orlando. He's not popular, or unpopular...he floats somewhere in between. The most extraordinary thing about Q's life, is that he had the good fortune to grow up living next to one Margo Roth Spiegelman. A larger than life girl who's adventures are the stuff of legend. One night, Margo enlists Q to help her carry out her biggest adventure yet; a meticulously planned out night of revenge. Upon returning home the next morning, Q feels more alive then ever, and is hopeful for a future that might include Margo. But there is anther side to the girl that seems so full of life. A dark, and desperate side...and as Margo Roth Spiegelman decides to drop out of her life in Orlando, Q's true adventure is only just beginning.


Thoughts:
I don't even know where to start with this book.


I have purposely been putting off reading John Green's newest book The Fault in Our Stars for the time being because I knew it would be an incredibly emotional read. Little did I know what kind of condition I would be in by the end of Paper Towns.


There were many times when I wished I could reach inside the book and shake some sense into Q. And there were many times when I wished I could kick Margo Roth Spiegelman's butt. But, in the end....I absolutely loved this book.


There are definite similarities between this book and Green's first novel Looking for Alaska. Both main characters are obsessed with a girl...or in actuality the IDEA of a girl, and both go in search of answers to the girls underlying mysteries. But having similar plot elements in this case isn't a bad thing, and Miles and Q are two totally different characters, which makes both stories work so well in their own ways.


I can count on one hand the times that a book has made me cry. This book made me cry. The last 3 pages were my complete undoing. One second I was fine, and the next....sobbing. In fact, after I finished the book I left it on my couch and went and got ready for bed (at 4am...after staying up all night to finish a book I had started that evening), and when I returned to put the book back on the book shelf, I looked at the cover...and i started crying AGAIN.


John Green...you are an evil, evil man. How do you manage to create these characters...these beautifully flawed, quirky characters...that just come alive off the page, and find a permanent home inside my brain?


And one final note: The last line of the book...the final sentence...hands down my favorite closing line of any book I have ever read.


Bottom Line:
Along with Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns is now firmly nestled on my Favorite Books of All Time shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment