Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Raven Boys ~ Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1)The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I seem to have a love hate relationship with Maggie Stiefvater.

On the one hand I absolutely loved her Wolves of Mercy Falls series. And on the other I was completely confused and turned off by her book The Scorpio Races. I was hoping that my experience reading TSR was a fluke. But, unfortunately I had a similar experience reading her latest book, The Raven Boys.

Granted, Stiefvater's trademark beautiful writing style is still very much on display. But this story was confusing and disjointed from the first page. I had a very hard time trying to keep track of which character was which, and what their cloudy backstory was...to the point of actually giving myself a headache trying to process everything.

When I began this book, I felt like I had been dropped off in the middle of the story, and I kept waiting for things to become clearer as the book went on. Yes, i had some of my questions answered and some of the murkiness of the characters resolved themselves, but overall this book felt like a jumbled mess.

I am not yet ready to give up hope that Stiefvater will once again write a book that captivates me the way that her Mercy Falls trilogy once did. But, I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment