Monday, October 29, 2012

Quickie Reviews #3



Fifty Shames of Earl GreyFifty Shames of Earl Grey by Fanny Merkin
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I was all for reading a book that poked fun at the Fifty Shades craze (even though I did like that series), and while the beginning of this book was somewhat enjoyable, the jokes fell flat pretty quickly.

All i can say is, it was a good idea that the author chose to make this a short book because the juvenile humor was definitely grating on my nerves after a while. I actually had a hard time finishing this because I felt like the author kept making the same joke over and over again.

Not much else to say about this really. Fifty Shades is the perfect candidate for a spoof, but this book definitely fell short of the mark in my opinion.





Anything He Wants (Dominated by the Billionaire, #1)Anything He Wants by Sara Fawkes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hard to believe I actually feel the need to write a review for a novella that is only 25 pages long, but here goes.

The highlight of Lucy's day is riding in the elevator each morning on her way to work. There she gets to sneak glances at a businessman who is the embodiment of all of her fantasies. One day, the two are alone in the elevator, and the businessman lets Lucy know that she hasn't been the only one doing a little fantasizing.

The comparisons to Fifty Shades of Grey are obvious. But, that doesn't detract from the sheer steamy goodness of this quickie. I would have preferred the author to publish the entire story as a novel, instead of in serial installments, but you can't have everything. Having said that, this was a very enjoyable first course. ;)


BloodmanBloodman by Robert Pobi
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I am always looking for a good scary read, and I had high hopes for this one. But unfortunately, this was a huge disappointment.

FBI agent Jake Cole comes back to his hometown after his ailing father has an accident. He soon gets caught up investigating a series of extremely grizzly murders, and finds himself questioning what is what isn't reality.

This book is very dark and brooding, which works for the premise. However the author not only went overboard on the minute details, but the characters tended to ramble on to the point where I found myself skimming ahead several times. It is hard for me to lose myself in a book if i find myself getting annoyed by how much the story is dragging. Bloodman could have done with some heavy editing, and probably about 100 less pages.

Several people have mentioned how shocking the ending was. I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing about the plot, but I still managed to figure out where the story was going, and what the supposed "twist" would end up being within the first 20-30 pages. That probably had a lot to do with why I didn't end up enjoying this as much as some other reviewers have.


No comments:

Post a Comment