Wednesday, August 15, 2012

City Of Fallen Angels ~ Cassandra Clare


City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

*deeeeeep, cleansing breath*

Unpopular opinion:
I would have been happier if Cassandra Clare had left the Mortal Instruments series at a trilogy.

There. I said it.

In my opinion, City of Glass was a perfect ending to Jace and Clary's story. Yes, there were a few loose ends left dangling, but I found the ending to be a sweet glimpse of the HEA I envisioned for two of my all time favorite fictional characters.

And then I read COFA. And boy did my happy little bubble burst in spectacular fashion.

The characters from the first three books that I loved and rooted for, here became whiny, miserable brats. Chief among them being Jace. My beautiful, messed up, cranky-pants Jace. Yes, his character has never been a ray of sunshine in the series, but in COFA he turned positively bipolar.

Yes, I realize that Jace was dealing with a lot of issues in this book. But the constant flip-flopping with Clary was just annoying as hell. One minute he's saying all these sweet things and telling her how he's afraid of losing her, and the next he blurts out "I can't be with you. I can't even look at you." Say what?! There were several instances where Jace was sweet one minute and a d*ck the next. No wonder Clary was such an emotional basket case in this book.

But, it wasn't just Jace's mood swings that bothered me. Simon....smart-ass Simon who has seemed to annoy every other fan of the series apart from me up until this book...even he was a miserable shell of his former self. Again, yes I know he was also dealing with some major changes in his life, but the amount of whining done in this book by Simon (and Jace. And Clary.) was just overwhelming.

Gah. I hate having to say things like this about a Cassandra Clare book. But, this has been the only one out of the 6 books I have read by her that I truly wanted to rip to shreds upon finishing.

Hopefully things get back on track in City of Lost Souls.




1 comment:

  1. I would have been happier if Cassandra Clare had left the Mortal Instruments series at a trilogy-- I agree with this, City of Glass is pretty hard to top and this one paled in comparison. HOWEVER she made up for the "reboot" in City of Lost Souls. I'm still NOT a Clary fan but the twist she did with book 5 was awesome! The secondary characters, Simon, Magnus, Isabelle & Alec, certainly stole the show. Don't give up just yet!

    ReplyDelete