Sunday, October 2, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone ~ Laini Taylor




Inital thoughts as I finished the book:
The last act has left me a puddle of emotional goo.

*deep breath*

***********************************************************************

5++++ Stars

I will admit to going into this book not knowing exactly what to expect. The book synopsis is so vague and mysterious that I couldn't help but want to dive into this bizarre world where a young girl is sent out on these errands by her beastly guardian in search of teeth...human and otherwise. Where a door opens in Prague, and exits into Marrakesh.

I was completely captivated by this story from the first line. And I knew this was something special within the first few chapters.

I truly feel like delving any more into the actual plot would lessen the impact for anyone thinking of reading this book. This really should be a book that is experienced from beginning to end, with the roller coaster of emotions that that entails.

But, I do have to point out that Laini Taylor's writing is just absolute perfection. Her characters come to life in such a vivid way, that it honestly felt like I was inside the book as I was reading it. And one final comment regarding the character of Akiva. Hands down one of my favorite fictional characters ever.

Normally I would have been beyond annoyed by the MAJOR cliffhanger of an ending that this book had (the final few chapters left me a weepy mess), but I can forgive Taylor for that, knowing that we will have 2 more books in the series to look forward to.

Bottom line:

One of the best books of 2011 (top 3)
One of my all time favorite books...period.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I don't know where to contact you so I decided to just post this here. I'm giving you the Versatile Blogger award! Congratulations! Click the link for more details.


    http://journeywithbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Happy Blogging!
    Krishna

    ReplyDelete
  2. In every way that matters, this story is a riveting read. Only the ending, which is a fairly typical cliffhanger format for most YA paranormal series these days, is rather unsatisfying, but not enough to stay away from reading the book until the full series is complete.This book has frank sexual content, and there is violence that is typical of the genre of urban fantasy. As a result, it is best suited to mature teens age 17 and above.

    ReplyDelete